Monday 27 June 2011

Melton Mowbray Country show 2011

Yesterday the sun shone (the weather randomly decided it is summer after all) so we went across to Melton Mowbray to the Melton Country Show. I don't know if this is a new show, I have never seen it advertised before. I was quite impressed though.

Prepare for a lot of photos, I waved the camera around a lot!

There were alpacas (I love alpacas!)


A spectacular alpaca shot taken by my OH, I don't know what is out of focus in the foreground, near animals it is probably best not to ask.


Pigs, both large and small




Pretty Jersey cows, this pair are about 9 months old.


Sheep, it was much too hot to be wearing a big fleecy jumper.


There was a big home baking theme with competitions, stalls and various "have a go" type stands. This stall is grinding flour onsite, the mill is on the right, the man is sifting the flour.


Steam powered farm machinery


A central display ring, this is a sheepdog display with the dog herding ducks over obstacles. Other activities took place in the ring during the day.


A row of food and drink tents- yum!


A sheep show, with a shearing demo and a bit of sheepy talk.


Falconry display and archery.


There were a lot of other stalls and activities that I didn't take pictures of, a craft tent, garden stalls, pony rides (very cute shetland ponies), dog shows; all round a very good country show.

I came away with two bags of alapca fluff, a sample of fleece from the mule sheep in the shearing demo and a possible lead on where I can buy half a pig for the freezer. Spinning fluff and meat, some of my favourite things!


No comments:

Post a Comment